40th Annual Southern Appalachian Dulcimer Festival
Tannehill Ironworks Historical State Park
April 28 -May 5, 2013
THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN DULCIMER was developed in the southeast mountains of America and was the country’s first native instrument outside of those made by the Native Americans. Until recent years, the Appalachian dulcimer was found and played only in remote mountain areas. Hand made of native woods, this long, thin primitive instrument normally has one melody string and two drone strings. The word “dulcimer” (or dulcymore) means “sweet sound” and the Appalachian dulcimer is known for its distinctive, sweet, haunting sound, ideal for accompanying traditional ballads and other folk tunes.
Schedule of Activities April 28 – May 5, 2013
Members please remember to bring your folding chairs to all events!
April 28 – May 2 Informal jams at campsites and at SADA host site. Some scheduled afternoon and evening jams depending upon weather.
- May 2, Thursday 5 PM All club members are invited to a hot dog cookout & cake. Hosted by the Southern Appalachian Dulcimer Club. Jamming afterwards!!
- May 3, Friday 9:30 AM Informal playing and singing by members and guests at the Gazebo next to the Country Store. Vendors open for sales all day.
- May 3, Friday 6PM Kiwanis Pavilion Pot Luck Supper. Bring a dish to share & the Host Club will provide the rest. Jamming afterwards!
- May 4, Saturday 9AM-5 PM Hospitality tent open – Information and signup for Open stage. Vendors open for sales near Gazebo or Kiwanis Pavilion.
- May 4, Saturday 9AM-Noon Lessons in DAA, DAD, and hammered dulcimer. No charge for the lessons. See Gazebo and Lesson Schedule.
- May 4, Saturday 1 PM Open Stage at the Kiwanis Pavilion, raffle
- May 5, Sunday 9 AM Church service held in Cane Creek School House
Dulcimer and music Vendors are welcome on Friday and Saturday!
A special Thank-you to McSpadden Dulcimers for donating a 6 string 6FHCS dulcimer!
Friday Lunch, Saturday Breakfast and Saturday lunch we have a vendor who will provide Hamburgers, Hot dogs, Chili Cheese steak, French Fries, Nachos, Breakfast Sandwiches, turnip greens and drinks.