SADA has several groups and individuals that will perform, some free (a donation to the Southern Appalachian Dulcimer Association is always appreciated), and some for a fee. Below is a little about each group and contact information:
Southern Appalachian Dulcimer Association (SADA) Main group performs for church groups, schools, senior groups, nursing, assisted and independent living homes. The group consists of mainly Appalachian dulcimer players, occasionally has a hammered dulcimer player or two, usually has a few guitar players, and often has bass, fiddle, psaltery, banjo and a few other instruments that may pop up. The group will normally play in the general Birmingham area.
- Contact person is LaVelle Wright, (205) 515-8565 or e-mail at: email@example.com
Joyful Jammers is a sub group of SADA that normally meets in Trussville, and also performs for church groups, schools, senior groups, nursing, assisted and independent living homes. The group consists of Appalachian Dulcimer players, and may sometimes have Hammered dulcimer, guitar, bass, psaltery and sometimes other instruments. This group primarily performs in the north east area of Birmingham, including Irondale, Trussville, Moody.
Contact people for Joyful Jammerss are:
- Bobbie Payne (205) 655-2386 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clyde Gaines: email@example.com
Shelby Strummers is a sub group of SADA that meets in the Alabaster area, and also performs for church groups, schools, senior groups, nursing, assisted living and independent living homes. The group consists of Appalachian dulcimer players, and often has hammered dulcimer, guitar, bass psaltery, autoharp and sometimes other instruments. This group primarily performs in the Shelby county and south eastern areas of Jefferson county.
- Contact Person: Bob Sutton: (205) 668-0659 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rob Angus is a multi instrumentalist, proficient on both the Hammered and appalachian dulcimers and several other instruments. He is a member of several groups, and is frequently hired for weddings, church performances and business functions. Fees vary according to the group and time of performance. Information on his groups:
- After Class: After Class is a Birmingham, Alabama based instrumental string trio consisting of hammered dulcimer, violin and guitar. After Class performs beautiful melodies from a variety of traditions including Celtic tunes, music from the Civil War era, American traditional music, and sacred music. They have been performing for music festivals, banquets, weddings and other events since the1980’s. They have has recorded six albums: two of Celtic and traditional music, two of music from the Civil War era, one of traditional hymns and one of Christmas music. Their music may be heard on Pandora, Spotify and other internet radio stations and downloaded from iTunes, Amazon and CD Baby. You tube of Ashokan Farewell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH159E1RFsM
- Over The Hillbillies: Over The Hillbillies bluegrass band (guitar, bass, mandolin and banjo) has been performing vocal and instrumental bluegrass, gospel and folk music for festivals, church and other events and private parties in the Birmingham area for over 20 years. Since all of the members performed with other groups for many years prior to formation of this band, the name is appropriate. We are seasoned veterans playing “well aged” music.
- The Sparklers: The Sparklers is an old-time dance band consisting of fiddle, guitar and hammered dulcimer. They have performed and played for numerous contra dances, festivals and other events in central and north Alabama. Their repertoire consists of traditional Appalachian, Irish and French Canadian tunes.
phone: (205) 987-7976
Dawn Wilson is a hammered dulcimer player and vocalist who primarily plays Hammered dulcimer and sings at church, as well as at nursing homes and assisted living facilities. She has also performed for several senior groups and weddings. YouTube of Deck the Halls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhvetlvtvB8
- Contact information: email@example.com or (205) 678-8743